or wine to offer at the Temple of the LORD. So the priests are in mourning. The ministers of
the LORD are weeping.10 The fields are ruined, the land is stripped bare. The grain is
destroyed, the grapes have shriveled, and the olive oil is gone.11 Despair, all you
farmers! Wail, all you vine growers! Weep, because the wheat and barley— all the crops of
the field—are ruined.12 The grapevines have dried up, and the fig trees have withered. The
pomegranate trees, palm trees, and apple trees— all the fruit trees—have dried up. And the
people’s joy has dried up with them.13 Dress yourselves in burlap and weep, you
priests! Wail, you who serve before the altar! Come, spend the night in burlap, you
ministers of my God. For there is no grain or wine to offer at the Temple of your God.
14 Announce a time of fasting; call the people together for a solemn meeting. Bring the
leaders and all the people of the land into the Temple of the LORD your God, and cry out to
Him there.15 The day of the LORD is near, the day when destruction comes from the
Almighty. How terrible that day will be!(Joel 1:8 to 15)
God was visiting His people in judgment. There was a terrible locust plague that wiped out
the nation’s economy. No worship was taking place in the Temple. It was all doom and gloom.
The prophet issues a call for the nation to repent. What does repentance look like?
- Turn from Laughter, to Lamenting (7 times, weep, and wail)
- Turn from Feasting to Fasting (1:14)
- Remove the Super clothes and put on Sackcloth (1:13a)
- From Slumber to Soberness (1:5a)
- From Stubbornness to Submission (1:14c)
- From a night of Partying to a night of Prayer (1:13)
- From vain Celebrations to Crying out to the LORD (1:14b)
- Turn from false Substitutes like alcohol to finding Satisfaction in God alone (1:5)
- Turn from Recklessness to Responsible stewardship (1:7a)
- From Procrastination, to Proclaiming a sacred assembly (1:14a)
Almighty God, You invite us daily, by various means, to repent of our indifference and disobedience.
May we not fall victim to the wiles of the Devil and the allurements of the world.
By the Holy Spirit arouse us to real groaning, that, being ashamed of ourselves, we may flee to You for mercy.
We come with sincere hearts and seek your gracious forgiveness and reconciliation which You offer us by the gospel in the Name of Your Only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Pastor Benjamin Devadason
March 10th, 2016