Who do you say that I AM? Matthew 16: 13 – 20.
THE QUESTION OF THE AGES – MATTHEW 16:13 to 20
- THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PLACE (16:13)
Caesarea Philippi, a city built by Herod Philip the tetrarch on a plane about 1100 feet above sea level at the foot of Mount Hermon. The location is 25 miles north of the Sea of Galilee.
- One of the main sources of water for the River Jordon arises out of a spring here.
- A great temple of white marble to the godhead of Ceaser.
- Littered with temples to the Syrian gods.
- Carved into the cliffs were the idols of the deity Pan
- THE PUBLIC OPINION CONCERING THE LORD JESUS (16:14)
Prophets were known for;
- THE PIVOTAL, PERSONAL QUESTION (16:15)
“Who do you say I am?” (v. 15). The “you” is emphatic and plural; Lord Jesus was asking all the disciples. Therefore, Peter was speaking on behalf of the disciples when he answered.
- THE PROMPT, PRECISE ANSWER (16:16)
The promised Messiah; The Son of the Living God
- PRAISE FROM THE LORD (16:17)
At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children” (Matt 11:25)
But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by His grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me (Gal 1:15, 16)
- THE PREDICTION (16:18, 19)
- Christ will Establish His church
“You are petros (stone), and on this petra (Rock) I will build My Church”
Lord Jesus alone is the Rock (1 Cor 10:4); Christ is the foundation (1 Cor 3:11)
All genuine believers are living stones (1 Peter 2:5)
- Christ will Enclose His church (“The gates of Hades will not overcome it”)
The gate is the place where elders and rulers meet and dispense counsel and justice. The gate is the place of governmental authorities.
Hades is the place of the departed dead. (Death and martyrdom cannot stop the progress of the church) The indestructibility of Christ and His Church.
- Christ will authorize and EQUIP His servants
The keys of Gospel proclamation is given to every believer to open the door for someone to enter the kingdom by believing its message.
- Christ will Ensure the writing of His Word.
“The term of losing and binding was customarily applied by Jews to a decision about doctrines or rites, establishing which were lawful and unlawful. Peter was used to write Scripture and help establish doctrines for the church.
- THE PROHIBITION (16:20)
- ADORE the PERSON of Christ
- ASSURED by the PROMISE of Christ
- ADVANCE the PROGRAM of Christ